Pages

Aug 1, 2012

Changes (got the job!)

I know it's been a long time since I posted. But a lot has happened.

The second I gave up hoping for the educator job I was so bitter about in previous posts I was suddenly offered the job. And I took it! I didn't even negotiate salary. I just said yes.

I think most nurses have noticed the very real push from management to "improve productivity". They are under a lot of pressure to improve the organizations bottom line. Gone are the days of over staffing. Our staffing decisions at the bedside are being scrutinized with a microscope and people who may not really know what we need are expecting a tight ship, no excuses.

I remember the days when the nursing shortage was so bad that I got any and every job I wanted. Literally. I could walk in and they'd ask if I could start the next day (or that night--I said no to that one, it was a bad sign).

Organizations used to have to woo nurses and a big part of that was with education opportunities and certification pay. Those days are gone. Nurses have to bring their A game and work hard to keep their boss satisfied. I remember when any nurse would do. Employers can be choosy now. Money is right and they have to justify every position with hours of paperwork and requisitions. It's in their best interest to hire well and ensure they make the right decision.

I hope they made the right decision in choosing me. And I hope that I made the right decision in making the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment