Pages

Feb 24, 2012

Applying for a job

About 6 months ago I applied for the nurse manager job in my critical care unit. I didn't get it. An ER nurse got the job. I was upset. I felt that one of the applicants from the ICU should have gotten it. After all, the three of us from the ICU that had applied for it had devoted years to the care of critical patients. She was an ER nurse.

Turned out that this ER nurse is really good. I like her a lot. And I like how she manages the unit. I probably would not do as good a job as her. In fact, I'm sure of it.

A few weeks ago I heard an educator was leaving her position. I was so excited! Then so deflated as I heard they weren't going to replace her. Hence, I have spent the last few weeks in a funk. The ICU was full of really sick and hopeless, heartbreaking cases. I was sick with a headache almost every day. Surely a brain tumor misdiagnosed as chronic sinusitis. And I felt that I would never get a chance to advance my career. My attitude was poor. Every little annoyance at work bothered me.

Don't get me wrong. I love being an ICU nurse. I love taking good care of my patients. But I know I have so much more to contribute. I would have applied for the hospital President's job if I didn't think they'd laugh at me. Unit Based Educator is a perfect job for me but it was gone. A casualty of the recession. Or so I thought.

As I checked the job openings there it was. The Unit Based Educator job that I wanted. So I applied. And I am hopeful again. I am already looking for an interview outfit. Let's hope no one noticed my bad attitude these last few weeks. And let's hope my vocal nature won't hurt my chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment