Pages

Dec 8, 2011

Bob Ross

That guy with the Afro who painted on TV? Yeah him. The one, that hippie guy on PBS, that embraced his "happy little accidents"...he knew what he was talking about.

I recently took up a hobby. Making quilts. I have some sewing experience but last time I tried quilting it was a complete failure.

This time I read blogs to learn some basic techniques. And I made a small practice quilt that is a hodgepodge of all the stuff I learned.

It was very satisfying to create something again.

I used to paint. I was artsy. Then I became a control-freak-perfectionist-nurse. That's not a fun job. Satisfying in many ways. But not fun.

While working on my quilt I was about to rip out some mistakes. Then, somehow, I channelled Bob Ross. He told me they were only mistakes If I wanted them to be. That I could choose to let them be "happy little accidents". That I should let it go. Be free and happy. Enjoy and trust the process.

I am so happy I listened. Letting go of that perfectionist attitude allowed me to have fun. Allowed me to experience some real joy. Allowed me to be more creative.

Thanks Bob. But now what do I do about this new obsession?! All I can think about is my next quilt!

I guess there is more to life than just nursing.

No comments:

Post a Comment